Due to the restrictions around COVID-19 it is not possible to host the Tata Steel Challengers nor amateur tournaments in this year’s edition, but the organisation of the Tata Steel Chess Tournament is very happy to announce an open online RAPID tournament for amateur players!
This open online RAPID tournament will be played on Saturday 23 January, starting at 14:30 (CET).
Online amateur events
The online amateur events are played in the form of an arena tournament on the platform Chess.com. During a specified time period you can play as many games as you like, you can even take a short break between games. When you finish a game, you can play the next game as soon as there is an opponent. Bonus points are awarded for win streaks, so take your time to win the game.
How to play
- Join the club via the button
- Join the tournament in the hour leading up to it through that very same page. Select the tournament from the list under ‘Upcoming Events’ and press ‘Join’ on the right side of the tournament page. You can join starting an hour before the scheduled time of the tournament.
- Games are played on Chess.com, which will require an account and accepting their terms and conditions for playing.
- Scores are determined by the Chess.com systems.
- The final standing used for giving out the prizes will be as determined by Chess.com.
- Players who are banned due to fair play regulations will lose their right to a prize.
Real-life prizes will be awarded to numbers 1, 2, and 3. The prizes are ‘New in Chess’ chess books.